Glaucoma Plus Eye Examinations
About Your Glaucoma Plus Examination
At Rolfe Eyecare Plus our optometrists are trained to detect and manage early signs of glaucoma and will refer to specialist care if this is needed.
Glaucoma Plus is a series of tests to assess your eye health for risk of glaucoma, the progression of the disease if you have it and informed instruction on how to reduce your risk of progression. This test is typically only done if:
- You have a strong family history of glaucoma.
- At your initial Checkup Plus examination, the optometrist detected that you had the risk of developing glaucoma.
- You have health issues that increase the risk of developing glaucoma.
- You are on medication that increases your risk of developing glaucoma.
- You already have a history of glaucoma.
During Your Glaucoma Plus Eye Examination
This specialist examination for glaucoma involves the following:
- An assessment of the results found with digital retinal imaging at your initial examination.
- Ocular Coherence Tomography. This is a highly sensitive instrument that gives a cross-sectional view of the eye to detect damage to the optic nerve, changes in the anatomy of the optic nerve, retinal nerve fibre layers and cells of the macula.
- An assessment of the pressure of the eye with high readings increasing your risk of glaucoma.
- A visual field examination which checks the function of the optic nerve which can decrease with glaucoma leading to peripheral vision loss.
- An ultrasound measurement of the cornea.
- A view of the drainage area of the eye that can be blocked or closed in glaucoma.
Cost of Your Glaucoma Plus Eye Examination
Due to the cost of the state of the art equipment used in this examination part of the test is bulk billed through Medicare but there is an extra out of pocket cost of $129.